Sunday, September 26, 2010

Dead

Zombie movies have seriously run their course on the "big screen" nowadays.

There's proof in this because, George A. Romero; the father of zombie films has been making nothing that comes anywhere near his 1978 American Classic, The Dawn of the Dead and that was well...in 1978. Since then he made the "decent" Land of the Dead in 2005 and the just barely okay Diary of the Dead in 2007, I basically drew the final straw when I saw running zombies in the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead, which wasn't a bad movie but running zombies? The only time running zombies are okay is in 28 Days Later.

However! I do love the zombie genre, it's something about the vicarious imaginations I have when I picture myself living in a post zombie apocalyptic world, what would I do? What will I be doing for survival? Will I be alone? If I weren't alone who would be with me? How many would be with me? I am going to drive backwards on the freeway.

To me plot is not really important for the zombie genre, just structure. If you can create a successful parallel universe to make events that occur easy to relate to, then the audience will be enraptured, because that could be them in a not so distant future...The problem is Hollywood thinks one cannot make a zombie genre film without a story because the audience needs an ending otherwise you're going to have a lot of people who want their money back, and believe me nowadays you have to really think about going to a newly released movie (where I go tickets cost 12$). So, how do you satisfy the fans of the zombie horror genre? You make a television series out of the brilliant graphic novel The Walking Dead! And milk the franchise slow and steadily cause it's a television series!

The story is simple, it's a record of the trials and tribulations of a small band of people as they just try to survive on a day to day basis; testing the sheer limits of human mortality and humanity.

I always loved reading The Walking Dead, but due to financial issues I had to stop after Book 4 (major sadface).

But now AMC is coming in strong with this little gem:



-DK

No comments:

Post a Comment